Are you wondering how to import PST file in outlook 365?
Why do you need to do that?
Have you ever thought about the benefits of having Exchange mailbox data on a cloud platform like Office 365?
If you have an Internet connection, Office 365 emails can be universally accessible.
Having your email account hosted on cloud has an added advantage, you can access your mails from any device, from anywhere.
You will be easily able to access your mail account from laptop/desktop or mobile/tablet.
So, for this purpose, many users move their offline Outlook Data File (OST/PST) to Office 365.
If you have a PST file which you want to migrate to Outlook 365 then it’s a direct process and you will be easily able to do so.
But what if you have OST file and you need to migrate it to O365?
Let me cover both the file types here in this same article so that it will be helpful for you to migrate both types of the files that is OST & PST.
There are different methods to do this.
How to Import PST File in Outlook 365?
If you have PST file, then well and good but if you try to move OST file to Outlook 365 then let me tell you how to do it.
You cannot directly move OST Email to Office 365 environment. First what you need to do is, you can convert OST file to PST and then upload it to Office 365 account.
Moreover, you can also use any third-party tool to directly save OST emails in Office 365. But that is not the most reliable solution.
So, here we will depend on Outlook’s inbuilt functionality.
That is more reliable option and works perfectly fine for this purpose.
So, let’s begin.
There are mainly 2 different methods to do this.
- Convert OST to PST files
- Migrate PST files to Office 365
Step 1: Convert Your OST to PST
There are several ways to convert OST file to PST:
- Create a new PST file and then copy OST data to it
- Using the Outlook Archiving Feature
- Using the Microsoft Outlook Export Feature
- Using third-party OST to PST converter software
Create new PST file and copy OST items
This method moves the mailbox items to a new PST file.
- Start the Microsoft Outlook application
- Create a new PST file
- Copy the items from the required mailbox folder and paste it into the PST file
Using the Outlook Archiving Feature
- Start Outlook and navigate to File > Cleanup Tools > Archive
- Select a file / folder
- Browse to the destination where you want to save the file
- Click OK
- Now, an archive is created
Note: All mailbox items can be archived except Outlook contacts
Using Outlook’s Export Feature
- Start Outlook, navigate to File > Click on Open & Export > Click on Import/Export
- Now select the option ‘Export to a file’
- Click Next
- Select option ‘Outlook Data File (.pst)’
- Click Next
- Now select all the required folders that you want to export (ensure that Include subfolders option is selected)
- Then, click Next
- Click on Browse to select the destination folder for exported file
- Click on Finish button to complete export process.
Note: This method only works when the user account is connected to Microsoft Exchange Server
Step 2: Migrate PST file to Office 365
There are different methods to migrate a PST file to Office 365.
- Upload to Office 365 using Azure AzCopy
- Drive delivery to Microsoft
- Use a third-party tool
You have to follow each step correctly because if you get it wrong then there are chances of losing some files.
By following these steps, you will be able to import PST file in Outlook 365 easily and conveniently.
Now you know how to import PST file in Outlook 365 and if you follow these steps correctly, you will easily be able to export important details from your outlook and import them to outlook 365. Hope this will help you in importing your important data to Office 365 and you will be able to benefit from cloud-based O365.